Saturday, June 21, 2008

Don't Let Others Set YOUR Goals

Too many people choose goals based on what others think. Instead, think about what YOU really care about, and set meaningful goals to accomplish what matters to you!

A friend of mine gave me valuable advice--My friend, Gary, left the military after 20 years of service as a marine pilot. His military friends were surprised that he would leave with the possibility of promotion right before his eyes. They all wondered what could be so wrong that you wouldn't want that rank. He had a great answer. He said, "Holding the highest rank has never been my dream." "It might be your dream, and that's cool, but it isn't mine."

Gary's dream was to serve his country by serving children. He offered his services to his local school and church. In a matter of a few years he was the head of a prestigious high school academic program. He told me it's a lot like flying. "You have your hands on the controls, and you have the power to excel. It is all within your hands." Teaching was a dream come true and one that would have never come true if he had worried about what other people thought he should do.

You know you don't have to be great in everything to be happy. But you do have to believe you have maintained control over your own destiny. For me that destiny was designed by God, I messed it up for a while, then I discerned it. I couldn't be happier! I pray you are happy at what you do and take pride in how well you do it. If you don't, you are not a happy person because you have no sense of accomplishment.

No comments: